Tuesday, December 10, 2019

#SheCanSTEM Gwendolyn Redmond


MLGW has 2770 employees; 752 (27%) are women. Of the 752 women, 143 (19%) hold STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) positions. On the second Tuesday of every month, we will introduce you to a different woman working in STEM at MLGW. 

Gwendolyn Redmond is currently the lead of Third Party Software Support. 3PSS is responsible for assisting with decision making processes to determine software needs; software evaluation, selection and installation; Level 2 support; and serving as the liaison between the user and the vendor. Gwen started working at MLGW in May of 1988 as a part time employee in Revenue Protection. She became full-time in September of 1990.

We asked Gwen a few questions to get to know her better:



How did you get started in STEM?

I originally found interest in STEM during my first year of college. However, after two years, I interrupted my undergrad studies and took a break to focus on making money, my daughter, etc. This so-called break lasted approximately 16 years. Although I was not in the technology field, it was always my desire to expedite cumbersome processes. This motivated me to utilize advanced application features and apply logic and troubleshooting skills. As a result, I was consistently asked to assist others with troubleshooting issues and automating processes. I was eventually asked to work on the IS ClientSoft GUI project. This experience helped me to recognize that I still had something vital to succeed in STEM—passion! As a result, I was allowed the opportunity to rotate in Desktop Systems Support (previously TIC). The rest is really history.

What's interesting or cool about what you do?

What’s really cool about what I do is that I’m always learning something new and I’m part of the solution. The accomplished feeling of resolving an issue, assisting a frustrating customer or watching a major project develop is priceless.

Why would you encourage girls to pursue STEM careers?

STEM is a rewarding, mind stimulating career. This career field will open your eyes to a new way of analyzing problems and invoking your critical thinking skills; not just with STEM but with issues in life.

What advice would you give your younger self?

I would tell my younger self:
·         Believe in yourself.

·         Don’t let your fear of failure keep you from moving forward.  

·         Your passion, persistence and perseverance can take you beyond limits.
 


Did you miss our other installments of #SheCanSTEM? Meet Arnisa Davis, Kelsey Seiter, Debra Higgins, Kerry Roy, Cynthia Jones, Juanita Ford, Shleah Whitlock, Sandra Hicks
and Kimberly Griswold.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...