Tuesday, January 10, 2017

POWER OF WARMTH HELPS THOSE IN NEED

About 200 residents were given either a space heater or electric blankets as a part of MLGW's and the Neighborhood Christian Center's Power of Warmth program on Tuesday. The program helps low-income seniors and physically challenged residents in Shelby County.


Cynthia Kirby was grateful for the help and selected a space heater. "This means I won't need to sleep in my mom's room.She's 89. I'm 65. I can put it in my room," Kirby said. "We don't have central heat."


"It's great. My air system isn't working well," said Estelle Wilson who had her granddaughters with her Qui'Lani, 5 and Qui'Layah Pittsman with her.



MLGW's Earlean Morgan helps Estelle Wilson fill out her application for the Power of Warmth.


Jessie Callaway borrowed a space heater from her sister when the heat in her rental home went out. "I haven't had heat for two days. It's cold in there," Callaway said.


With the temperatures warming up for a few days, William Ray
Grandi, 72, of Memphis picked an electric blanket from the Power of Warmth program. "I won't need it if it gets in the 70s, but I can set it up and be ready for the next cold spell," Grandi said.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...