Thursday, December 5, 2013

MLGW Prepares For Possible Wintry Weather


With the strong possibility of winter weather moving into the Memphis and Shelby County area starting on Friday, MLGW is taking precautions to ensure that utility service will remain as reliable as possible. In the event of outages, crews are on hand to respond as quickly and safely as possible.

MLGW is continually staying in contact with the National Weather Service and closely monitoring the weather situation.

"MLGW employees have been monitoring this winter storm situation and we have all of our resources in place should the winter weather hit Memphis and Shelby County. If indeed a significant storm blankets our city, we are ready to respond," said MLGW President and CEO Jerry Collins Jr.


Customers are reminded to call 544-6500 to report an electric outage. The automated outage reporting system will receive the report and let customers know of a possible restoration time, if one is available. Also, customers are encouraged to download MLGW’s App which is available in the Google Play and Apple Itunes market. MLGW’s App allows customers access to MLGW’s outage map and outage updates.

Customers are reminded to call the following numbers:

To Report an Outage: 544-6500
To Report an Emergency (such as downed lines or gas leaks): 528-4465
All Other Inquiries: 544-MLGW (6549)
MLGW Social Media:

MLGW.com
twitter.com/MLGW
facebook.com/MLGW1
mlgw.blogspot.com
Free MLGW Apps: Google Play (play.google.com) and Apple Store (www.apple.com)


Winter Safety Information:

Water Pipes:
Water pipes can burst anytime temperatures are below freezing. A burst water pipe or water heater is considered to be an emergency situation and could pose a danger of flooding the building.
• Customers should open cabinet doors and turn water to a slow drip to prevent pipes from freezing.

• Customers can also wrap pipes either in pipe insulation (available at hardware stores) or with towels, clothes, etc... to prevent pipes from freezing.

• If your pipes freeze, turn off the main valve inside your house (if possible).


Space Heaters and Gas Appliances:
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, make sure that all natural gas appliances, such as your water heater, furnace and space heaters, are vented outside. Keep chimneys and flues clear of all debris, and use gas space heaters only according to manufacturers' instructions. We also recommend that you have your gas appliances inspected annually by a licensed professional.

Do not use space heaters overnight and when no one is home. Position space heaters so they are not positioned near flammable objects.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical assistance immediately and move the victim, if possible, to a well-ventilated area, then call our 24-hour emergency number, 528-4465.

For additional safety and energy-saving tips, visit mlgw.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...