Monday, April 8, 2019

#SheCanSTEM: Meet Kelsey Seiter


MLGW has 2770 employees; 752 (27%) are women. Of the 752 women, 143 (19%) hold STEM positions. On the second Tuesday of every month, we will introduce you to a different woman working in STEM at MLGW.


Meet Kelsey Seiter. When she was younger, Kelsey participated in science fairs and was always interested in math and science. In high school she knew that she wanted to be an engineer like her father and grandfather. She enrolled in Mississippi State University and majored in Industrial Engineering. While there, she was a member of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers, the Society for Women Engineers and the EcoCAR3 team. She says, “My engineering classes along with my extra-curricular activities and internships while in college gave me the experience I needed to work at Memphis Light Gas and Water.”

We asked Kelsey a few questions to get to know her better.

What do you do in your current position?

I am currently working as a Project Engineer in the Performance Engineering Department. I work on projects that analyze business processes in order to present opportunities for optimization.

What's interesting or cool about what you do?

As a part of my job, I am able to work with many groups within MLGW. This has allowed me to learn about MLGW as an enterprise.

Why would you encourage girls to pursue STEM careers?

STEM careers are an important part of the economy, especially as technology changes. A career in STEM will make you indispensable in the work force along with having a career that can be very interesting and rewarding.

What advice would you give your younger self?

When I was younger, I was always stressed about having good grades in school. I would tell my younger self to focus on developing a good skill set such as problem solving and an ability to work with others. The most important qualifications for jobs are not always hard skills such as math and science, but soft skills such as public speaking and professionalism. These skills aren’t the focus of an engineering curriculum, but they are important because they allow you to work well with your colleagues to solve problems.

Did you miss our first installment of #SheCanSTEM? Meet Arnisa Davis here.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...