Wednesday, May 31, 2017


Updated 5/30/17
LINC/2-1-1 and the Memphis Public Library are working  to provide the most current and updated information on resources and assistance available for those affected by the straight line winds of May 27.
Please contact us at 2-1-1 (or 901-415-2790 or 1-855-354-4211) if you have additional information to share or to see if other services may be available. 
LINC/2-1-1 is now open Monday - Thursday, 9 AM to 9 PM, Friday and Saturday 9 AM to 6 PM, and Sunday 1 to 5 PM.
  • Union Grove Baptist Church
    2285 Frayser Blvd
    10 AM – 5 PM until the power is restored
    Providing free food, water and ice to area residents affected by the power outage
  • SNAP replacement benefits
    From the TN Department of Human Services:
Shelby County residents currently enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (or SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps) who lost power for 12 hours or more may be eligible for replacement benefits. Shelby County residents who are not enrolled in the SNAP program are not eligible to receive SNAP replacement benefits due to loss of power.
To be eligible for the replacement benefits, the household must: 
  • Be current SNAP recipients;
  • Have been without power for 12 hours; or
  • Have experienced other household misfortunes that have caused the loss of food.
SNAP recipients must request replacement benefits within 10 (ten) calendar days of experiencing food loss. Once approved, replacement benefits are issued to current recipients using their existing EBT card.  To request* replacement benefits, current SNAP recipients can call the Family Assistance Service Center at 1-866-311-4287, or visit one of two Tennessee Department of Human Services 

Offices in Shelby County:

North Branch Office
3230 Jackson Avenue
Memphis, TN 38122
Office Hours:  7:00 am - 4:30 pm

Welles Branch Office
3360 South Third Street
Memphis, TN 38109
Office Hours: 7:00 am – 4:30 pm

An affidavit must be signed as part of the eligibility process.
*Due to the extent of outages, wait times may be longer than usual.

Shelby County residents that do not currently receive SNAP benefits can apply online at, or in person at the office locations listed above.
  • Call 2-1-1 for referral to your closest food pantry.
  • Call 2-1-1 for other food referrals as available.
  • Red Cross shelter at Orange Mound Community Center, 2572 Park Avenue, for those whose house is damaged or destroyed by the storm.
  • From the American Red Cross:
A shelter is open at the Orange Mound Community Center,  2572 Park Ave, Memphis,
Tennessee 38114. The shelter offers a safe, secure place to spend the night and
meals. People may also come in just to find a place to rest or charge their cell phone batteries. If you go to stay at the shelter be sure to bring critical medications, games or other items to keep children entertained, comfort items such as blankets, towels, and pillows, a change of clothes, and personal care items (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)  People who need transportation to the shelter should call 901-636-2525.
  • Call Housing Hotline at MIFA  (529-4545) for general homeless shelter referrals for families with children if space is available.
  • Call 2-1-1 for referrals to general homeless shelters for single women and single men.
  • American Red Cross is providing case management at two locations for area residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed by the storm:
  • Orange Mound Community Center, 2572 Park Avenue - 10 AM – 3 PM
  • American Red Cross chapter office, 1399 Madison Avenue near Cleveland – 10 AM – 3 PM
From the American Red Cross:
Red Cross Client Caseworkers are on duty at the shelter to talk with people whose homes have been damaged on a one-on-one basis and help with their recovery plan. People should bring identification that shows an address for the home that was damaged or destroyed when they come to talk with a caseworker. A Red Cross worker will visit the home to confirm damage.

  • The Red Cross is circulating through areas hit particularly hard by the storm to distribute cleanup supplies and meals to people who are working to cleanup up and restore their homes.
  • Donations to the American Red Cross can be made at the Mid-South Chapter office at 1399 Madison, or online at
  • Neighborhood Christian Center seeking food and financial donations for disaster food assistance. Contact Pamela Cox at 881-6013 or by email at .
  • Union Grove Baptist Church is seeking food and financial donations for disaster food assistance. Food items can be brought to the church at 2285 Frayser Boulevard; financial donations can be made via paypal to .
  • City of Memphis Public Works employees are actively working to trim and remove trees as quickly as possible.
  • Important MLGW contact information for customers:
    > Outage Reporting: 1-800-268-8648 or 544-6500
    > Emergency: 528-4465 (This number should be treated like 911. Gas leaks, electrical lines down.)
    > Customer Care Center: 820-7878
  • MLGW apps for outage map:
    Customers are encouraged to download the MLGW app for access to the outage map (Android users can go to ly/SL0TB  and iPhone users can go to ).
  • Other MLGW info:
    MLGW is suspending disconnects. The utility continues to thank customers for their patience as workers continue to restore power and reminds customers to consider any downed wire to be dangerous and to not touch.
  • American Red Cross – contact Mid-South Chapter office at 726-1690 to volunteer.
  • Neighborhood Christian Center – contact Pamela Cox at 881-6013 or by email at
  • From the Shelby County Office of Preparedness 5/30/17:
The request for a federal disaster declaration is a joint process between local, state, federal officials.
The process begins with a local and state damage assessment to see if damages and impacts in the county meet federally-established per capita loss thresholds, at both the county and state levels.
Shelby County’s per capita loss threshold is $3.348 million and the state’s loss threshold is $9.074 million.

Both of these loss amounts need to be met or surpassed in order for the federal government to consider whether a federal disaster declaration would apply.

If both thresholds are surpassed, then the Governor can request FEMA to conduct a Preliminary Damage Assessment to basically verify the state and local damage assessment figures.
If FEMA verifies the amounts as accurate, the Governor can then request a federal disaster declaration.

Right now local and state officials are gathering damage estimates from Shelby County as well as a number of other counties in East Tennessee who have significant damage from the weekend storms.
Because of all the ongoing damage assessments across Tennessee, it may take many days to arrive at a total and to see if the impacted counties, Shelby included, and the state surpass the federal loss thresholds.

If a federal declaration is granted, assistance for this storm most likely will come in the form of reimbursements to state and local governments, and certain private, nonprofit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities. The categories of help to state and local governments can include work or repairs for debris removal, emergency protective measures, roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, and recreational facilities.

Other federal assistance may also be available from FEMA or other federal entities. However, the granting of any federal assistance still hinges on the completion of a local and state damage assessment, and then a Preliminary Damage Assessment on the part of FEMA.

Please call LINC/2-1-1 at 2-1-1 (or 901-415-2790 or 1-855-324-4211) for additional updates on area programs and services.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...