Monday, March 3, 2014

MLGW Crews Respond to Power Outages

MLGW crews began restoring power at noon on Sunday, March 2 to customers without power. Crews will continue to work into the night to restore power to customers. MLGW is estimating it may take several days to have power restored to all customers.

Storm Restoration Updates:

·        Currently, there are about 30,000 customers without power.
·        MLGW has restored power to more than 25,000 customers.
·  Downed trees weighed with ice and power lines are the primary cause of these outages; damage is spread across Shelby County with more damage occurring north of I-40, in the Raleigh/Frayser area.
·  MLGW is estimating full restoration to take several days.
·  MLGW crews are working 16-hour shifts in an effort to restore power.
·  Fifteen mutual aid crews from Alabama, Indiana, Missouri and Tennessee are scheduled to arrive today and tomorrow to assist in restoration efforts.
·  MLGW's Customer Care Center will also be open until 7 p.m. to assist customers.
Customers are reminded to call the following numbers:
  • To Report an Outage: 544-6500
  • To Report an Emergency (such as downed lines or gas leaks): 528-4465
  • All Other Inquiries: 544-MLGW (6549)
Outage numbers can be tracked via MLGW's outage map at
Winter Safety Information:
Water Pipes:
Water pipes can burst anytime temperatures are below freezing. A burst water pipe or water heater is considered to be an emergency situation and could pose a danger of flooding the building.
    ·  Customers should open cabinet doors and turn water to a slow drip to prevent pipes from freezing.
    ·  Customers can also wrap pipes either in pipe insulation (available at hardware stores) or with towels, clothes, etc... to prevent pipes from freezing.
    ·  If your pipes freeze, turn off the main valve inside your house (if possible).

Space Heaters and Gas Appliances:
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, make sure that all natural gas appliances, such as your water heater, furnace and space heaters, are vented outside. Keep chimneys and flues clear of all debris, and use gas space heaters only according to manufacturers' instructions. We also recommend that you have your gas appliances inspected annually by a licensed professional.

Do not use space heaters overnight and when no one is home. Position space heaters so they are not positioned near flammable objects.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical assistance immediately and move the victim, if possible, to a well-ventilated area, then call our 24-hour emergency number, 528-4465.

Portable Generators

Portable Generators are a great way to back up your power in case an outage hits your home, but using one can be dangerous unless you follow these important safety tips:

  • Never use a generator indoors or in an enclosed area such as a garage. Generators emit toxic carbon monoxide from the engine exhaust.
  • A generator should only be operated in a well-ventilated and dry area, away from air intakes to the home. It should be protected from direct exposure to rain and snow, preferably under a canopy, open shed or carport.
  • Do not attempt to restore power to your entire house by plugging the generator into a wall outlet. The electricity produced by a generator cannot only ruin your home's wiring and start a fire, it can also feed back into the utility system and energize a line thought to be without power possibly killing utility workers trying to restore power. It can also cause damage to the generator when electric service is restored.
  • Handle fuel carefully. Turn the generator off prior to refueling. Gasoline, kerosene and other flammable liquids should be stored outside of living areas in properly labeled safety containers.
  • Turn off or disconnect all appliances prior to operating a portable generator. Once the generator is running, appliances powered by the generator can be turned on one at a time.

For additional safety and energy-saving tips, visit

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...