Friday, October 17, 2008

Central High is Going Green


My friend who is an English teacher at Central High School (pictured above) invited me to the school to advise her students on their projects for the 2008-2009 Exhibition of Student Work. The students can work alone or in groups of 2 or 3 and their projects must be inter-disciplinary. They will display their work on November 13 and have it judged by community members.

Central chose "Going Green" as their theme, so I was very excited to see what the students came up with. There were some very original and ambitious ideas ranging from organizing neighborhood clean-ups to creating environmentally oriented art, comic books, and CDs. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that many of them were focusing on utilities.

I talked to about ten different groups and helped them narrow their focus and offered some ideas for where to look for resources and information relating to their projects. They really gave my brain a workout!

I'll be going back to Central over the next few weeks to check in on the students and see their progress. I also plan to attend the final exhibition on the 13th. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...