Friday, June 13, 2008

The Road Home

After successfully using public transportation to get to work, my first thought was, “I wonder if I could get a ride home with my friend who works down the street?” Not because I had a bad experience or anything, but because I was worried about the time factor. I had kids to pick up and evening activities scheduled!

I called my friend and she agreed to give me a ride home.

At 11:00am I realized I had a dentist appointment. No problem, it was within walking distance.

When I returned from my appointment I had a voicemail from my supervisor inviting me to a luncheon at the U of M Holiday Inn. No problem, I rode to the meeting with him.

By mid-afternoon I had a change of heart. I took my kids to school, got to work, went to the dentist, and attended a meeting without using my car. I should take the bus home!

I looked at the bus schedules again. I decided to take the #50 bus home down Poplar to get a feel for a different route. Looking at the departure times and considering the extra time it took me on my morning commute, I didn’t think there was much chance of me making it to my kids’ school before closing.

I called my husband and he agreed to get the kids. Then I called my friend and canceled my previous request for a ride home.

My main concern was getting to the North Terminal. It seemed a lot hotter outside and I was less energetic at 5pm than I was at 8am. I hoped I could get a trolley right away so I wouldn’t feel compelled to walk, which might be quicker than riding the trolley if none was in sight.

When I left the building and looked down Main Street, I saw a trolley one block away at Linden & Main. I immediately sprinted to Beale & Main in order to catch it. I felt a little silly doing this, but I did it anyway.

In my MATA materials I couldn’t find anything about a trolley to bus transfer, so I had called MATA to find out the cost. The woman on the phone told me it would be $1.60. I thought it was odd that going from trolley to bus would cost me .10 more than going from bus to trolley, but I kept my mouth shut.

When I boarded the trolley, I decided to double check the price of a transfer with the driver. “$1.50,” he said.

I paid the allotted amount and he handed me a transfer ticket.

Surprisingly the trolley was even less crowded now than it had been in the morning. There were only two other people riding.

As we trollied along, I tried to enjoy the sights. The kids playing in the fountains outside City Hall seemed to be having a blast. And I was happy to see a streetlight with a CFL in front of the Convention Center Marriot.

Once at the North Terminal, I walked around back to where all of the busses were. I noticed that they were coming in from two different directions and that there was a crowd of people waiting on either side of the platform. I decided I better go inside and find out which side I should stand on.

There were lots of people waiting inside the station (enjoying the air-conditioning). I walked toward the information booth and asked a woman which side the #50 would be on.

“There's a #50 now,” she said motioning out the window.

I briskly walked outside and joined a large group of people who were lining up to board. However, once all but one passenger and the driver got off, a group of police officers boarded the bus and closed the doors. They appeared to be questioning the remaining passenger.

After a few minutes, they all exited the bus and we got on. Despite this delay, the bus left right on time. As I looked around at my fellow passengers I started to wonder if after awhile everyone who rides the bus on a regular basis gets to know the other people who also ride the bus on a regular basis. I was thinking that might be nice.

At a stop near Morris Park, our driver started a conversation with a young man in a wheelchair a few feet from the bus shelter. “Hey, Antonio! When did you get your chair?” she yelled.

I couldn’t hear his response, but she said, laughing, “I’ve given you my number a thousand times already!”

The rest of the trip was uneventful. I got off the bus at Hollywood & Poplar 18 minutes after I boarded it at the North Terminal.

I enjoyed walking down my street and saying hello to neighbors, looking at lawns and houses, and noting general changes. It was pretty hot and I was glad that I had a bottle of water.

Twelve minutes later I was home. Again, my total commute took about an hour.

I spent two hours just getting to and from work. Two hours for less than six miles. Honestly, I just don’t know if I have two extra hours to spare everyday.

I wonder how long it would take me to ride a bike to work?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The time you have on the bus is time you can spend thinking and unwinding from your day. You'll quickly learn to fill this with another activity to use the time wisely. While I ride my bike about 8.5 miles each direction it takes on average about 38 minutes on back streets. (Below is a safe commute between Germantown and Downtown which may be of some use to you)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/tn/memphis/982010726087

Do your ride on a weekend so you know how long it will take you. General knowledge of how to fix a flat can help out a ton too!

There are also many electric bike kits available now (www.electricrider.com) which can convert your existing bike into an electric or electric assisted bicycle. Which may be an easier step towards not using your car, and also not arriving to work sweaty. (I'm lucky enough to have a place to change).

www.electricrider.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...